Friday, August 28, 2009

Albums from our past....

I've been meaning to write this post for a while, so here goes. Let's post about the albums that remind us of the past. Like junior high, high school, college, etc.

What are the albums that remind you of junior high?

This is easy for me, as it was when I truly starting getting into music and listening to artists other than what my parents were listening to.

1. Oasis -- What's the Story Morning Glory. I can remember the first time I heard Champagne Supernova on the radio. They've been my favorite band ever since and it was announced today that Noel just quit Oasis. I'm bummed.

2. No Doubt -- Tragic Kingdom. They're still playing songs from this album on the radio. And I love me some OC bands.

3. Green Day -- Dookie. I used to sit and watch MTV all day waiting for the Basket Case video to play. Fantastic.

4. Weezer -- Blue. It's still one of my favorite albums ever. Love it.

Ladies, what are yours??

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post, my pharmacist ninja. I completely agree with those bands, especially Weezer. Hello, 7th grade.

    At my middle school--St. John's, RSM--the 8th graders took a Williamsburg-Washington, D.C. trip in the fall. We saw all the Yorktown, Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, Mount Vernon, etc. stuff. It was what everyone at St. John's looked forward to, and it definitely lived up to its hype. Definitely among my fondest memories.

    We went everywhere on a bus, and I was so excited for the trip that for weeks in advance I was working on making The Best mixed tape. CD players had just come out but the walkmen people weren't uncol yet. I listened to KROQ every single chance I got and taped off of it, got a lot of Jed the Fish talking.

    Here are my Top 6 for middle school, 1993-1996, most of which come from that beloved tape:

    1. Garbage - self-titled
    2. Bush - Sixteen Stone
    3. Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill
    4. Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    5. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    6. Cranberries - the big 3 albums

    And other 90s legacy songs on that tape:
    Radiohead - "Creep"
    Primus - "Winona's Big Brown Beaver"
    Sonic Youth - "Diamond Sea"
    Live - every song on Throwing Copper
    Foo Fighters - "This is a Call" and "I'll Stick Around"
    Filter - "Hey Man, Nice Shot"

    But do you recall a disco revival in 1994?

    ReplyDelete